promo box 1 green

promo box 2 yellow

promo pic 3 blue

After the Storm

We are very fortunate in Richmond, VA.  Hurricane Sandy left us relatively unscathed.  She was not so kind to our friends to the north.

We have weathered many storms in our area - thunderstorms, hurricanes, tornadoes, floods, and snowstorms.  We have had to deal with downed trees, power outages, washed out roads, missing roofs, car accidents, and even lost lives.  When it's all over, we dust ourselves off and carry on.  Back to the grind.

But we forget that it's not always that simple for our little ones.  It isn't so easy for them to shake off the fear and worry and put it all behind them.  They have been kept up all night listening to the roaring wind and pounding rain, or had to evacuate their home, or had damage to their property.  Even if they don't see destruction first hand, they see it on TV.  So scary for an itty bitty!

My students often return to school after a storm or natural disaster and they cannot concentrate on the task at hand because they haven't yet worked through their feelings of fear, worry, or helplessness.  I certainly can't teach fractions when the kids are afraid the roof might blow off the school!

So I created a few discussion and writing activities to help us work through a few things before we move on when we return this week.  Here are a few sample pages.  (The pack is 12 pages.)  Click on the picture to download it for free:)









Hope it helps!
~Nikki

Nov. 1, 2012 
I just happened across this today, hosted by The ESOL Odyssey-
Please link up if you would like to donate to teachers who lost materials in the storm!

Freebie Fridays

8 comments

  1. I'm sorry that this is something you even have to discuss with your little ones. They're fortunate though to have a very caring and understanding teacher.
    ❀ Tammy
    Forever in First

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm just grateful that we were spared this time. So sorry for those who have suffered so much devastation from this storm!

      Delete
  2. Thank you so much. I am back in Kindergarten after 5 years away. This storm was scary! We are in Fairfield County, CT and the damage is beyond belief. I expect we will have the whole week out! This is so perfect! I appreciate your thinking of this. I am a new fan. Check out my blog. Hope you find a fun activity.

    All the best,
    Sara
    kinderaffe2ndgraders.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so sorry you have had to go through this! I hope the pack helps your kids and if you want something more or different, please let me know! I would be glad to help - you probably have a lot on your plate right now.

      Delete
  3. I think this is a great idea for the students who were affected by the storm. My students were talking about the storm the last 2 days and I can only imagine what it was like for the students who had to go through this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is great. Two years ago my school's community was hit pretty hard by tornadoes. A few students wouldn't want to go outside and play when it was a cloudy day and many would eye me nervously when it would start raining outside. Thank you for thinking of this.

    Casey
    Second Grade Math Maniac
    Second Grade Freebies

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a wonderful way to help kiddos process such an event. So very sorry that you had to experience it.
    Growing Firsties

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, Nikki. What a terrific resource for our kiddos affected by the storm. We don't really have traumatic weather in CA, but I imagine kids will be desperate to share their experience and they'll need to talk about it to manage their stress levels about it. Great idea. Thank you!!

    Kate
    Second Grade Sparkle

    ReplyDelete